Safeguarding & Child Protection
The designated safeguarding officers for 2021/22 are:
Designated Safeguarding Lead
Miss Sara Westlake – Deputy Headteacher
Mrs Anna Ellison – Headteacher
Mrs Semmina Satia
Weetwood Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Safeguarding is an umbrella term and covers many more aspects than just child protection.
Child Protection is protecting children from identified risks – originally focused on abuse at home now a wider concept to include bullying, abuse through new technologies etc.
Safeguarding extends child protection to include preventing harm and promoting the wellbeing of children.
Protecting children from maltreatment
Preventing impairment of a child’s health or development
Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provisions of safe and effective care
Create opportunities to enable children to have optimum life chances in adulthood.
We would like to share with you school policies and practices with regards to ensuring that children are taught in a safe environment and encouraged to live healthy lifestyles and adopt safe practices.
School policies are in place to ensure that there is a consistent approach to safe practices throughout school and that they are adhered to by staff, governors and volunteers. Adults have a tremendous impact on young children and with this in mind adults at Weetwood Primary School:
• are good role models for children
• work within the agreed policies of the school
• promote a happy, caring and safe school
• create an environment of trust
There are numerous policies in place to safeguard our children and they include:
• Child Protection – This is sensitive area in which all staff receive regular training. School and other services for children and families all work together to support the needs of children. There is a named governor for child protection. The child protection policy can be viewed by parents on the Policies page.
• Attendance – Children’s attendance at school is monitored on a daily basis and notable absences or patterns of absences are followed up the Senior Leadership Team and in more serious cases the Attendance Strategy Team. The school prides itself on its very good attendance figures.
• Behaviour – High standards of behaviour are expected in school. However, as we all know children do fall out from time to time or lose concentration. Where this is the case, it is dealt with sensitively by an adult who gives the children time to explain what the problem is and helps the issue to be resolved. Children are often reminded about our school rules and they know that we have them in order for everyone to be happy and keep safe.
• Health and Safety – Everyone here at Weetwood Primary School knows they have a responsibility to ensure children and adults are able to work in a healthy and safe environment. The school has a fully trained paediatric first aider in each team who deal with accidents should they occur.
• Curriculum – We ensure through the planned curriculum that the issues of healthy eating, physical exercise and safety are taught.
• Online Safety – All children in school receive regular teaching about Online Safety as part of their computing sessions and in any area of the curriculum where they will be using a computer or similar device.
• Safer Recruitment and Selection – This aspect is taken very seriously. Governors and the school ensure that all new staff and volunteers who work in school on a regular basis undertake a DBS check and full references are acquired before the person takes up post.
• Complaints/Concerns – If you have any concerns about your child or any aspect of school life, please let us know so that we can help resolve any issues. No problem is too small and can often be prevented from becoming a bigger issue.